design system

AT&T Responsive Design System

AT&T Responsive Design System

Leave review
Date
April 2016
Role
Project Lead & Art Director
Tools
PhotoShop, Illustrator, InDesign
Powered By
Adobe Experience Manager CMS
Guidelines doc excerpt ≫
start with why

“As a stakeholder I need our organization to implement a faster, efficient, device agnostic method for delivering offers to customers without a complete redesign or a release for each initiative.”

Problem

Background.

In 2015 AT&T decided to take the plunge into responsive design. In addition, the current site platform which launched in 2010, was not responsive and performing slow. To make up for the lack of responsive content, in 2012 we launched a separate mobile site. However, that created two sites to maintain which doubled the effort in updating and creating new content. Additionally, the methods & styles to design for the 2010 site were archaic by 2015.

Strategy

Strategy.

  1. Update the platform to Adobe Experience Manager (AEM).
  2. Create a responsive website, with a mobile-first content approach.
  3. Move away from page templates and create a modular design system so pages could be built/updated by content implementors and released daily, instead of by developers and released on a project schedule.
  4. Utilize the newly emerged Digital Standards team to ensure design, code, copy and accessibility requirements were built uniformly.
Solution

My role.

I was asked to oversee the creative efforts to redesign and "responsify" the upper funnel pages of att.com. This was 12-15 pages, plus up to 3 versions of each for regional and authenticated-user specific content. The project was underway when I was assigned the initiative. Some of my tasks included:
 

  1. PROJECT LEAD.
    I coordinated the efforts of our external design agency, UX research, content implementors, development team, and copy strategists.
  2. RESOURCE MANAGEMENT & MENTORSHIP.
    The initial design was heavily dictated by an external design agency. I wanted to give our internal talent, who’d be sustaining this work, an opportunity to grow their responsive design skills. So I pulled designers to ensure they were getting acclimated to the responsive design process we were creating before deadline and metric dependent work assignments were handed out.
  3. WIN TRUST.
    I worked with stakeholders to gather their content and functional requirements for a redesign. We started lean, so some of the requested functionality would be placed in a backlog. I made myself available to attend regular Q&A sessions with stakeholders to alleviate their concerns.
  4. PROCESS CREATION.
    I created a workflow with input from the the development and content implementation team, to create a feature request intake process. This allowed product owners to request new pages, content updates, or functionality enhancements starting in Phase 2. As part of this process, I created an intake form to track requests. Requests were submitted to me or my producer. Once vetted, I'd assign an IA to provide an analysis or solution.
  5. PROCESS DOCUMENTATION.
    I designed our module “bible” which contained detailed information on each component at each breakpoint.
  6. QUALITY ASSURANCE.
    I performed Visual QA on each component to ensure each component was coded to spec, at each breakpoint on Chrome, Firefox Safari, and Internet Explorer.
  7. TRAINING & SUPPORT.
    From March - November 2016, I held multiple training sessions to ensure the standards team, design teams, content implementors, and copywriters knew where to access the files, documentation.
client since
2007
location
Bothell, WA
industry
Telecom & Entertainment
Projects Completed
A lot!
Results

Achievements.

The AEM Multi-screen redesign launched in April 2016.

I oversaw the creation of 99 module templates across 3 breakpoints, which replaced over 1500 templates.

Product Owners were no longer restricted to template-based pages. A section of a page could be updated through the daily release process instead of a full development effort.

I created a repository for assets available to all disciplines and external vendors.

I helped promote and encourage collaboration with the newly established standards team by following and referencing their guidelines.

Read More